Sometimes we can slip into a rut and just keep casting the same lure or fly despite changing conditions. I catch myself doing this all too often. A little success can reduce your total productivity by reducing your willingness to change up offerings or tactics at appropriate times.
Don’t be a victim of your own success. If conditions dictate a change in size, color, or depth of presentation – make it. Think of your flybox or tacklebox as a toolbox. Choose the right tool for the job at hand.
Halfway to the goal! “The 2018 Fly Fishing List” so far:
- Brown Trout – Salmo trutta
- Brook Trout – Salvelinus fontinalis
- Rainbow Trout – Oncorhynchus mykiss
- Landlocked Atlantic Salmon – Salmo salar
- Creek Chub – Semotilus atromaculatus
- Northern Pike – Esox lucius
- Largemouth Bass – Micropterus salmoides
- Chain Pickerel – Esox niger
- Black Crappie – Poxomis nigromaculatis
- Bluegill – Lepomis macrochirus